Saturday, February 9, 2013

Turkey Sausage Veggie Frittata


Happy Sunny Saturday! I haven't seen the sun in what feels like months! I was so happy to wake up to a little bit of Vitamin D this morning; feels so good! 

I was making this frittata in my head last night before bed, and was delighted it came out just as good as I had hoped. A frittata is such a wonderful, versatile dish. It's basically just a quiche without the crust. You can make it a thousand different ways and with any ingredients your heart desires. They are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also very easy to throw together with whatever you may have on hand. Leftover veggies, meats and cheeses are all great accompaniments to the frittata. 

I have been watching what I eat very closely the last few weeks, so it's really important to me to make healthy but satisfying dishes. I also used my new favorite ingredient, pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles. I have been using this on everything from breakfast tacos to mini pizzas. 1/4 of this quiche is only 3 WW+ points! 

Ingredients:

  • 2 whole eggs
  • 4 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup turkey sausage crumbles
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk shredded cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • cooking spray


Method: 

Preheat oven to 350°

Spray a medium sized skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook for 1 minute. Add in the broccoli and red bell pepper; cook an additional 2-3 minutes just to soften the veggies.



While the veggies are cooking, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper.



Spray a medium sized glass dish with cooking spray and sprinkle in the sausage crumbles. 



When veggies are cooked, transfer to the dish and top with the cheese. I used a mix of colby and monterey jack, but you can use whatever you have. Pour in the egg mixture and mix until everything is combined.



Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set. Let cool slightly and cut into 4 slices. Serve with a side salad or if you're feeling indulgent, potatoes and toast :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2013-2014 Doughmestic Diva • All Rights Reserved