Friday, June 14, 2013

Flank Steak with Tomatoes, Red Onion and Balsamic


Steak! This is the first steak I have ever cooked and I must say it wasn't half bad! I haven't had a bite of red meat or pork since I was 13, until a few weeks ago. I slowly started working meat back into my diet and finally felt comfortable enough to cook my own. I was a little concerned that it wasn't cooked enough for me, but it was delicious. Flank steak is tricky if you don't want any pink because it can get very chewy if overcooked. Perhaps I should have started with an easier cut of meat, but I saw this recipe on SkinnyTaste and really wanted to make it. I have full confidence that I can now cook any piece of meat to perfection! This recipe is super simple but lacks nothing in flavor. I threw in some fresh basil to the tomato mixture to give it an extra summery kick :) 

Ingredients-

  • 1 lb flank steak, fat trimmed
  • salt and pepper
  • garlic powder 
  • 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil 
  • 2 tbs balsamic vinegar 
  • 1/4 of a red onion, chopped
  • 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
  • Fresh basil, chopped


Let the steak sit out for about 10 minutes to come to room temperate; season generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder. 

Meanwhile, heat up your grill pan over medium high heat. Cook steak for about 8 minutes on each side for medium; careful not to over cook. 


While the steak is grilling mix olive oil, balsamic and red onions. Let the onions sit in the mixture for about 5 minutes to mellow, then add the tomatoes and basil. 


Remove the steak from the grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. 

Slice the steak against the grain and top with the tomato and onion mixture. Serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2013-2014 Doughmestic Diva • All Rights Reserved