Friday, October 2, 2015

Cheesy Spaghetti


 This is one of my favorite childhood recipes. I think it's actually called Harvest Casserole and it's from a Kraft cookbook published in 1979, before I was even born. I remember eating it all the time when I was little and I think we called it cheesy spaghetti because it was more fun! Kids want to eat anything cheesy, right? It's super simple to make, you only need a lot of processed things (hah). The main thing that makes the taste irreplaceable is Kraft Tangy Italian boxed dinner. I know it's weird, but trust me, it works. I used 2% Velveeta to make it a little more figure friendly, it's actually only 7 weight watchers points for 1/8 or 9 points for 1/6 of the casserole. Definitely worth having the 9, believe me! If you aren't watching your weight you can of course go ham on some full fat cheese. 

Ingredients:
  • 10 oz chicken, cooked & shredded (1.5 cups)
  • 12 oz 2% Velveeta
  • 2 tbs margarine (I use Country Crock)
  • 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 box Kraft Tangy Italian Spaghetti Dinner

Method:

Preheat oven to 350°

This is the box you need:


Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and set aside. 

Melt the margarine in a large pot. Add the green pepper and cook until slightly soft, about 4 minutes. 


Add the tomatoes (with juice), water, seasoning packets from the mix, chicken, pasta and cheese. Stir to combine. 


Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, top with the additional 2 oz of cheese (slices are better but I didn't have a slicer at the time, so I just cut small pieces) and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. 


Ta da! Amazingness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2013-2014 Doughmestic Diva • All Rights Reserved